Ärzte ohne Grenzen sucht General Director (m/w)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international non-profit medical humanitarian organisation that intervenes in crisis and conflict situations. In accordance with its charter, MSF delivers aid to populations in need, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and of armed conflicts, regardless of race, religion or political beliefs. MSF’s work is based on humanitarian principles, operating independently and impartially. More than 90 per cent of overall funding comes from non-governmental private sources. MSF is neutral and does not take sides in armed conflicts; providing care on the basis of need alone. MSF medical teams often witness violence and neglect in the course of their work, largely in regions that receive scant international attention. At times, MSF may publically speak out in an effort to draw attention to a forgotten crisis, to alert the public of obstacles and/or abuses occurring beyond the headlines, to criticise the inadequacies of the humanitarian response, or to challenge the diversion of humanitarian aid for political interests.
MSF Austria is looking for a
General Director (f/m)
Ärzte ohne Grenzen / Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) in Austria was established as a registered Austrian association in 1994 and is located in Vienna. The organization’s primary objective is to support MSF’s global field operations. This is done through building a strong public voice on humanitarian and medical issues, generating financial resources to fund operational activities, generating human resources for operational activities and supporting quality improvement in MSF´s operational activities by providing learning solutions, GIS solutions and evaluations.MSF Austria is one of 26 sections in the MSF movement.
The General Director (GD) oversees all activities that are carried out under his/her responsibility in Austria and in Czech Republic and makes sure they are in line with the core values of MSF as indicated in its charter and principles: to provide medical assistance for populations in danger and to witness their plight, respecting independence and impartiality. The GD is responsible for carrying the vision of MSF in Austria and to further develop the organization in order to reach its future ambitions. In consequence, the GD is the final responsible for the overall management of the office of MSF Austria and the achievement of the strategic goals and objectives. As the director of a privileged partner section to MSF Switzerland and to the OCG Management Team s/he contributes directly to the dynamic of the Operational Centre Geneva. The GD is accountable to the Board of Directors.
- Represent and position MSF Austria within Austrian society to raise awareness for humanitarian issues and defend the rights of populations in crises
- Represent MSF Austria towards other MSF entities and platforms at the executive level and participate in defined meetings with MSF Austria´s strategic partners (OCG, OCBA)
- Coordinate with and monitor MSF Czech Republic and the Shared IT Service Center (SITS)
- Organizational development by leading the evolution of MSF Austria according to the strategic ambitions of the organization
- Continuously advance strategic priorities and goals of MSF Austria together with the board and define medium-term strategies within the given international, OCG and OCBA frameworks
- Prepare and regularly review the annual plan in accordance with the strategic plan in cooperation with the management team
- Ensure final budget responsibility and control considering national and group ambitions while following international financial frameworks, i.e. RSA
- Identify organizational risks, oversee and steer organizational risk management
- Inspire and lead all staff of MSF Austria, additionally coach and evaluate the members of the Management Team as well as specialist positions directly reporting to the GD
- Report regularly to the Board about the organization’s performance, risks, and the progress of activities throughout the year
- Extensive experience in the international humanitarian sector; experience with MSF is an advantage
- A strong commitment to the humanitarian principles, ideas, values, and goals of MSF
- Senior leadership and managerial experience in complex settings
- Strategic and visionary leadership
- Excellent communication, representation, and networking skills
- Proven skills and experience in financial management
- Proven skills and experience in people management
- Experience in organizational development and/or change management highly valued
- Excellent level of English; a good level of German is strongly preferred
- Working erratic hours and frequent travelling is required
- A strategic leadership position, embedded in an international network, located close to Vienna´s city centre
- A challenging experience within a highly motivated and successful team in one of the largest and well known non-profit organizations in Austria.
- Annual minimum all-in gross salary of €77.000,- with the possibility of higher payment depending on skills and experience up to an annual maximum of €85.000,-
- 25 days of annual leave
- Annual ticket for public transport in Vienna
- Starting date August 1st, 2018