British Embassy sucht Teilzeit Political Officer
part-time Political Officer
The British Embassy in Vienna is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a part-time Political Officer.
The successful applicant will contribute towards promoting the UK’s objectives in Austria. Covering a wide variety of domestic and EU issues, you will be expected to monitor and report on political developments, build and maintain a network of influential contacts, and take a lead role on energy and climate issues.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Information gathering, research, lobbying and reporting on EU and domestic issues, with a particular focus on climate change, domestic economic reporting, energy (and energy security), and agricultural policy;
- Developing relations with Austrian Government Ministries, Parliament, political parties, think tanks and other influential organisations;
- Reporting to the Whitehall Departments and other posts around the world;
- Arranging programmes for visiting ministers and officials;
- Developing, organising and delivering Embassy projects and events;
- Covering for Economic, EU Secretary as required;
- Other duties as required.
Required Experience & Skills
- Fluency in English and German (both oral and written);
- Education to graduate (university) level;
- Sound knowledge of Austrian political and economic issues;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong ability to develop and maintain influential networks;
- Demonstrated willingness and flexibility to work collaboratively in a team sharing a portfolio of political topics;
- Good research skills, plus the ability to write fluent and concise reports in English;
- Initiative and ability to work independently without close supervision;
- Effective time management and ability to respond to changing priorities and tight deadlines.
Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace, Engaging Internationally
Terms and Conditions
This is a part-time position of 5 days (17.5 hours net) per week. Working hours are flexible and staff are entitled to time-off-in-lieu for extra hours worked. The annual leave entitlement is 25 days per year prorated and the Embassy enjoys 14 Austrian/UK public holidays per year. We are committed to ensuring a work/life balance. Monthly salary will be € 1,750 gross, payable 14 times a year.
Please check the British Embassy in Vienna webpage under the Current Vacancies section. Please click on it and then filter for your region Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia – there you will find the advert for this position.
The closing date for applications is 30th January 2017.
More detailed information on job specifics of this vacancy are available on the British Embassy website.