British Embassy Vienna seeks Political Attache
The British Embassy in Vienna is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a
for the UK Permanent Mission to the United Nations department.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the team promoting UK values and policies at the United Nations and the associated International Organisations (UKMis). Specifically, the jobholder will be the lead policy officer for the UK’s engagement at the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organisation (CTBTO) and lead on the nuclear energy portfolio at the IAEA. The jobholder will also provide some administrative cover as required.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Attendance and representation at meetings of the CTBTO, reporting to the UK Ministry of Defence, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and other relevant UK institutions.
- Promoting UK interests on nuclear energy at the International Atomic Energy Agency, representing the UK at relevant meetings and reporting to the Department for Business, Energy and Industry Strategy and the Department for International Trade.
- Covering for other team members in the UK mission as appropriate.
- Providing cover for the Administrative Support Officer in their absence.
Required Experience & Skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Education to graduate (university) level.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and negotiation dexterity.
- Good research skills, plus the ability to write fluent and concise reports in English.
- Ability to develop and maintain networks.
- Initiative, can demonstrate flexibility and works well in a team.
- Effective time management and ability to respond to changing priorities and tight deadlines.
Previous experience at international organisations or equivalent is desirable, but not a prerequisite for this position.
Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace, Engaging Internationally, Demonstrating Resilience.
Terms and Conditions
This is a local staff position in the British Embassy Vienna; it is not a diplomatic designated position. The position is subject to the terms and conditions of British Embassy employees.
This is a full-time temporary position of 5 days (35 hours net) per week, for a maternity cover with expected duration of 6 months with possibility of extension. Working hours are flexible and staff are entitled to time-off-in-lieu for extra hours worked. The annual leave entitlement is 25 days per year pro rata and the Embassy also enjoys 14 Austrian/UK public holidays per year and we are committed to ensuring a work/life balance.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they are legally able to work in Austria. The Embassy is not able to assist with any visa or sponsorship arrangements.
Monthly salary will be € 3.720,00 gross, payable 14 times a year for those liable for Austrian tax.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions service according to Austrian employment law.
Please check the British Embassy in Vienna webpage under the Current Vacancies section. Please click on it and then filter for your region Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia – there you will find the advert for this position.
The closing date for applications is 11th February 2018 (23:55).
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
FCO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews (including Security Check) or accept any financial risk, including cancelation or reschedule costs. The FCO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
More detailed information on job specifics of this vacancy are available on the British Embassy website.