Embassy of Canada to Austria seeks „Advocacy & Public Diplomacy Officer“
„Advocacy & Public Diplomacy Officer“
Position title: Advocacy and Public Diplomacy Officer
Appointment Process No: VIENN/FPDS-LE07
Department: Embassy of Canada to Austria
Number of Vacancies: 1
Job Category: Political
Salary range: Starting salary 57,550 Euro gross per year for 37.5 hours/week
Location: Vienna, Austria
Closing date: March 15, 2017
Summary of duties:
- Plan and execute public campaigns and events to promote Canadian foreign policy priorities under the supervision of the Counsellor (Political, Economic, Cultural and Public Affairs);
- Manage relations with media representatives and support preparation of traditional media content (e.g. press releases, interviews);
- Participate in the planning and execution of high-level visits, Canadian experts, and others;
- Monitor the Austrian language media (press, social media and television, Austrian and regional) and summarize and share relevant information;
- Conduct research to support the drafting of analyses and reports.
Area of selection/Eligibility:
This position is open to applicants residing and eligible to work in Austria, including all mission employees occupying an indeterminate or term position, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date.
The Canadian Government is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
Essential qualifications :
Education: Degree from a recognized university relevant to translation, journalism, humanities, social sciences or commerce.
Proficiency in English and German (oral and written). Language capabilities will be tested and must score C2.
- Minimum two years recent (at last 5 years) experience in communications, media relations or public affairs with duties related to one or all of the following areas: analysis, writing (reports, speeches), translation and event planning;
- Minimum two years recent* experience working in an embassy, international non-governmental organization, multilateral organization or government environment or equivalent.
- General knowledge of Canada and Canadian government foreign policy interests in Austria;
- Strong knowledge of and interest in Austrian politics, culture, media and civil society;
- General knowledge of social media;
- Project management including budgets.
- Effective communication both orally and in writing;
- Able to prioritize and work under pressure;
- Demonstrate integrity and respect;
- Exercise sound judgment;
- Work effectively with others;
- Show initiative;
- Be action-oriented.
Preference may be given to candidates who have the following asset qualifications:
- Proficiency in the French language (spoken and written).
If candidates meet the factors listed in the asset qualifications they must also clearly demonstrate how they meet these factors in their covering letter.
- Ability to work occasional overtime (evenings and weekends if necessary).
Conditions of Employment:
- Any job offer is subject to receipt of satisfactory references and the ability to obtain and maintain an Enhanced Reliability security screening (including a criminal and credit check).
- All applicants must be eligible to work legally in Austria. Temporary work permits are not accepted.
How to apply
- Please follow the link www.wfca-tpce.com and complete the online application form. Candidates are also required to upload a CV and a covering letter. Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected.
- Candidates must demonstrate concisely in their cover letter how they meet the essential and asset qualifications.
- Candidates are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. They are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application (English or French).
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this selection process should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email).
- Candidates selected at the screening stage will be invited for further assessment. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
- Please note that the Embassy of Canada to Austria does not sponsor work permits directly or indirectly.
- The Embassy of Canada to Austria does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- If candidates need any special assistance in terms of attending exams or interviews then please let us know during the application process.
- The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list of staff for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada to Austria, which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this competition.
- If you have any questions at any stage of the process please send an email to RSCEMA.Personnel@international.gc.ca