International Peace Institute seeks Policy Analyst / Senior Policy Analyst
The International Peace Institute (IPI) seeks a
Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst
depending on experience as part of its Center for Peace Operations (CPO) team to support its program research and administration at IPI Headquarters in New York
This position is situated in the Brian Urquhart Center for Peace Operations (CPO) which covers IPI’s work on the full spectrum of peace and security issues including prevention, mediation, peace operations, peacebuilding and sustaining peace, preventing violent extremism, and UN reform.
This role will report directly to the Director of CPO and will work closely with all other IPI programs.
The Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst will be responsible for the following tasks in collaboration with IPI staff:
Research and Analysis
- Support the development and design of research projects on peace and security related issues, debates and recent policy developments on multilateralism.
- Conduct research and drafting of background papers, concept notes, meeting briefs, meeting reports, issue briefs and policy reports.
This may include field research and travel to conflict-affected areas.
- Identify, analyze and monitor political developments and trends in relations to peace and security and peacebuilding.
- Represent IPI at meetings including with member states, international organizations, donors and inter-governmental organizations.
- Attend weekly Program Staff meetings.
- Monitor daily peace and security developments and major studies and reports, in part through outreach to UN Secretariat staff, member state officials, civil society and academics;
- Engage with Member States and UN officials to ensure policymaker uptake of research findings.
- Provide substantive and editorial support to CPO and IPI research projects, as needed
- Coordinate with the Publications Department on production and dissemination of research publications.
- Draft policy analysis and commentaries for publication on IPI’s websites, including the Global Observatory, and other media engagements.
- Work with other IPI program staff to support program and project development.
- Other occasional research tasks as determined by the Director, CPO.
Convening and Fundraising
- Manage convening and event coordination in relation to CPO projects, in cooperation with IPI’s Events team. This includes liaising with the events staff and partners on the event, drafting concept notes and meeting agendas, identifying and corresponding with speakers and co-hosts, preparing participants list, inviting participants and chairing meetings.
- Draft meeting notes and ensure dissemination and follow up with relevant partners.
- Support the Director of CPO and/or the Director of External Relations with fundraising, including drafting project proposals for funders and meeting on a regular basis with funders.
- Correspond and update funders on specific projects, papers and/or events on a regular basis.
- Track project milestones and deliverables, including project budgets.
- Manage the relationship with commissioned experts and authors.
- Draft funding proposals and funding reports.
- Prepare budgets and monitor budget and expenses, in cooperation with the CPO Program Assistant and IPI Finance Team.
- Supervise interns and junior staff, as needed.
- Support the senior advisors in the CPO program, as needed.
- Other responsibilities as required by the Director, CPO.
The Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst , in addition to the above responsibilities, will also be expected to:
- Lead the development and design of research projects on peace and security related issues, debates and recent policy developments on multilateralism.
- Represent IPI at high level meetings including with member states, international organizations, donors and inter-governmental organizations.
- Engage with Member States and senior UN officials to ensure policymaker uptake of research findings.
- Seeking out new opportunities for funding.
The Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst may also be engaged in assisting IPI staff in other programs and projects, as need.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A master’s degree in international relations, political science, global public policy, or related field;
- A minimum of 2-3 years ( Policy Analyst ) or at least 5 years ( Senior Policy Analyst ) experience in an international/regional organization, government, research organization or non-governmental organization working on conflict analysis and prevention, peace operations, humanitarian affairs and/or peacebuilding;
- Knowledge of and strong networks within UN institutions and policymaking, as well as of the broader think-tank/policy development system globally;
- A solid research background, ideally including publications in areas related to peace, security, global development, and/or public policy;
- Proven excellence in writing, editing, and communication;
- Demonstrated organizational skills, including event organization, program and budget management;
- Experience with fundraising and developing project proposals;
- Ability to work independently and work as a self-starter;
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment, with demonstrated sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills; and
- Fluency in English.
The following qualifications are highly preferred:
- Previous work experience in a peace operation and/or in a conflict or post-conflict context;
- Familiarity with conflict management institutions and issues in Africa or the Middle East and North Africa; and
- Proficiency in French or other official UN language.
The position will be filled as soon as a successful candidate is identified. Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org (with “Policy Analyst” / “Senior Policy Analyst” as the email subject) by Friday, March 23, 2018.
Further information: www.ipinst.org