OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media (FoM) seeks Senior Adviser
The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media (FoM) observes media developments in all 57 OSCE participating States. She/he provides early warning on violations of freedom of expression and promotes full compliance with OSCE press freedom commitments.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the overall leadership of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media and the immediate supervision of the Director of Office, the incumbent will be tasked with:
- Providing overall supervision and political guidance on the monitoring efforts for a designated region and focal point of the office for that region;
- Following political and legal developments affecting freedom of expression in the designated region and preparing comprehensive analyses, notes and reports;
- Analysing public policy, legislation and state practice affecting freedom of the media in the designated region;
- Maintaining relevant networks, correspondents and media freedom advocacy contacts and maintaining regular contact with journalists‘ associations in the designated region;
- Contributing to the reports on and participating in visits conducted by the Office; serving as focal point for visits to designated region;
- Assessing developments in view of suggestions for interventions to RFOM, including necessary political sensitivity and use of language;
- Liaising with consultants and experts outside of RFOM, especially when supervising the production of commissioned reports or studies;
- Establishing and maintaining contacts, as necessary, with relevant governmental officials, international organizations and institutions as well as with specialized NGOs and the OSCE field presences, on issues of relevance to RFOM’s mandate;
- Representing the Office at seminars, conferences and meetings, including delivering statements, papers and speeches reflecting the position of the RFOM with regard to freedom of expression and free media;
- In close contact with the public outreach colleagues, planning and organizing public relations activities to better promote understanding of the RFOM’s aims and activities, including maintaining close contacts with OSCE missions;
- Co-ordinating and managing relevant financial activities (project proposals, auditing of activities, budget contributions, evaluation, reporting, etc.);
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, please see http://www.osce.org/fom.
- Second-level university degree in political science, media studies, history, law, journalism or another related field;
- A minimum of eight years of progressively responsible experience, including practical experience in the field of media, media freedom advocacy, human rights or related experience within the OSCE or another international organization;
- Experience in programme management, including finance, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation/controlling and reporting;
- Professional fluency in English with excellent drafting and communication skills; knowledge of other OSCE working languages, particularly Russian, French and/or German, would be an asset;
- Computer literate;
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment; demonstrated attention to detail;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different nationalities, religions and cultural backgrounds, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/vacancies.