OSCE Secretariat seeks intern
OSCE Secretariat seeks
Intern Transnational Threats Department
Closing Date of application 24-02-2016
The Transnational Threats Department (TNT Department) supports the Secretary General in functioning as the focal point of Organization-wide programmatic activities that relate to countering transnational threats and in ensuring coordination and coherence of action across all three dimensions and among all OSCE executive structures, while respecting their mandates. The TNT Department comprises of a Co-ordination Cell (CC), the Strategic Police Matters Unit (SPMU), the Action against Terrorism Unit (ATU) and the Border Management and Security Unit (BMSU).
The TNT Department is looking for interns to assist them with their activities in each of the four above-mentioned Units for 3-6 months to start over the next six to nine month period. Applicants should be ready to work in any one area and should indicate in their cover letter for which period they would be available. A competitive selection process will be carried out and successful candidates will be offered an internship in accordance with their availability and the needs of each Unit.
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
- Tasks and Responsibilities
- Generally, interns will be tasked with assisting in the preparation, execution and follow-up of TNTD capacity-building activities both in Vienna and in the field. They will be expected to carry out duties ranging from the following:
Tasks and Responsibilities
Generally, interns will be tasked with assisting in the preparation, execution and follow-up of TNTD capacity-building activities both in Vienna and in the field. They will be expected to carry out duties ranging from the following:
- Conducting research, as necessary, pertaining to ongoing TNTD programmes and activities and current and emerging threats and trends; preparing background papers;
- Assisting ongoing TNTD programmes as required;
- Providing logistic and administrative support in the implementation, development and monitoring of extra-budgetary funded projects;
- Assisting with the organization of conferences, events and workshops by providing logistic and administrative support, including maintaining lists of participants, communicating with participants/speakers, preparing and distributing materials and assisting with visa applications and hotel arrangements;
- Attending Permanent Council meetings and any other formal and informal (internal or external) meetings and conferences on request, taking notes and drafting reports on the proceedings;
- Assisting in the drafting of speeches and presentations related to TNTD activities;
- Performing other duties as requested.
- Applicants should be under the age of 30 (on the date of the deadline of this vacancy) and from an OSCE participating State;
- Students in the final year of higher education (university or other accredited institution) at graduate or postgraduate level, i.e. within two years of graduation, or recent graduates or postgraduates, with a background in political sciences, international relations, counter-terrorism, police sciences or a related field;
- Some previous work experience/internships in international or regional organisations, multi-lateral affairs, or previous experience in a diplomatic service, Ministry or relevant think-tank;
- Strong analytical, research and drafting skills;
- Professional fluency in English and very good communication skills; knowledge of the Russian language would be an asset;
- Good organizational skills with ability to process and classify information quickly and efficiently;
- Knowledge of the concept of gender awareness and sensitivity;
- Computer literate including graphic skills (PowerPoint etc.);
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people from different national and cultural backgrounds, whilst maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
The OSCE is not in a position to either pay any remuneration during the internship nor reimburse travel expenses. However, interns selected who are non-residents of Vienna may be eligible for some compensation towards their living costs in Vienna
The internship lasts three (3) to six (6) months and does not constitute a commitment for future employment with the OSCE.
The selected intern(s) will participate in the group health insurance scheme at his/her own expense, but the OSCE will cover life and disability insurance.
How To Apply
If you meet the above requirements and wish to apply for this internship opportunity, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under http://www.osce.org/employment
Please mention whether you are available for an internship starting immediately or for a future period in 3-4 months’ time in your cover letter
Please note that vacancies in the OSCE are open for competition only amongst nationals of participating States, please see http://www.osce.org/states
The OSCE is committed to achieving a better balance of women and men within the Organization.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment or offer an internship with modified terms of reference or a different duration.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.
Applications can be placed via: https://employment.osce…