OSCE seeks a Senior Adviser (m/f)
The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media (RFoM) observes media developments in all 57 OSCE participating States. He/she provides early warning on violations of freedom of expression and promotes full compliance with OSCE press freedom commitments.
OSCE seeks a
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media (FOM) and in close co-operation with the Director of Office, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Monitoring media freedom issues and assisting with the activities of the Representative in the entire OSCE area;
- Advising the Representative, FOM on policy matters regarding freedom of the media in the designated geographical area;
- Recommending the need and level for intervention directly to the Representative, FOM and to the Director, if needed;
- Formulating relevant policy papers;
- Co-ordinating the analyses of media legislation, legal developments and policies relating to OSCE media freedom commitments in the OSCE area with a special focus on transformation countries;
- Supervising the preparation and accompanying the Representative on visits to the countries in the region and to conferences elsewhere dealing with the designated region;
- Developing and maintaining contacts with high level government officials, delegations of participating States in Vienna and NGO’s on media freedom related issues;
- Representing the Office at international conferences and seminars dealing with freedom of expression in the OSCE area and preparing relevant documents for these conferences;
- Coordinating policy and projects with other international organizations, such as the United Nations and the Council of Europe, exploiting synergies and enforce effectiveness of the Office activities;
- Supervising the development and running of projects for the Office, including the identification and formulation of potential projects and co-ordination of the implementation and reporting phase;
- Conceptualizing and monitoring the implementation of all the Office’s legal projects, identifying and recommending the commissioning of legal reviews;
- Supervising the organisation of three main regional media events by developing the theme and agenda, in close co-ordination with field operations and experts;
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree in political science, international relations, law, journalism or another related field;
- A minimum of eight years of relevant professional experience, including at a managerial level, with proven team leadership skills;
- Practical experience in the media freedom advocacy field, in the field of human rights or experience within the OSCE or other international organizations would be highly desirable;
- Knowledge of working methods of media professionals and media outlets;
- Professional fluency in English with excellent drafting and communication skills; knowledge of other OSCE working languages would be an asset;
- Practical knowledge of budgeting and human resources;
- Computer literacy including experience in handling modern information technologies such as Internet, etc.;
- Readiness for frequent duty travel;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds, whilst remaining impartial and objective.
Monthly remuneration will vary between EUR 7,250 (single rate) and EUR 7,786 (dependency rate) depending on post adjustment and family status. OSCE salaries are exempt from taxation in Austria. Social benefits will include possibility of participation in the Cigna medical insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund. Other allowances and benefits are similar to those offered under the United Nations Common System.
How To Apply:
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE’s online application link found here
Closing Date of application: 05.10.2015
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Please note that vacancies in the OSCE are open for competition only amongst nationals of participating States, please see http://www.osce.org/who/83.
The OSCE is committed to achieving a better balance of women and men within the Organization. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The OSCE is a non-career organization committed to the principle of staff rotation, therefore the maximum period of service in this post is 7 years.
No application fees or information with respect to bank account details are required by OSCE for our recruitment process.