OSCE seeks Media and Outreach Intern (m/f)
Job Title: Media and Outreach Intern, COMMS
Organization Name: OSCE Secretariat
Closing Date of application: 06-07-2016
The OSCE Secretariat seeks a
Media and Outreach Intern (m/w)
The Office of the Secretary General (OSG) provides general services to the Secretary General (SG), the Chairperson-in-Office and the participating States. It groups horizontal services such as Executive Management, Communication and Media Relations, Legal Services, External Co-operation, Security Management, Gender Affairs, Conference and Language Services and Central Records Management, and oversees the Prague Office. The OSG also ensures effective co-ordination of policy advice provided to the Secretary General and the Chairmanship, and management decisions taken by the Secretary General. The OSG is led by a Director who also functions as the Head of the Executive Management Section.
The Communication and Media Relations Section (COMMS) is part of the Office of the Secretary General, and promotes awareness of the OSCE among outside audiences by working with the media, engaging a general audience and producing and distributing communications material.
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Acting Head, COMMS, the Media and Outreach Intern is responsible for:
- Updating and maintaining the media contacts database;
Conducting media monitoring;
- Assisting with preparation, co-ordination and holding of press conferences and other media events;
- Assisting with and/or conducting outreach activities such as Visitors’ groups;
- Assisting in the research/production of the OSCE Magazine;
- Translating from English into Ukrainian/Russian/German;
- Performing other media and outreach duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Applicants should be under the age of 30 and from an OSCE participating State;
- Students in the final year of higher education (university or other accredited institution) at graduate or postgraduate level, i.e. within one year of graduation, or recent graduates or postgraduates, with a background in media studies, journalism, political science, international relations or a related field;
- Professional fluency in English, with excellent drafting skills, and professional fluency in German is essential; professional fluency in Russian and/or Ukrainian is desirable;
- Strong analytical, research and communication skills;
- An understanding of how to work with multiple audiences, and create and maintain networks of interest;
- Ability to initiate ideas and to bring them to fruition as part of a team effort;
- Some work experience/previous internships in an international or regional environment is desirable;
- Excellent IT knowledge, including familiarity with Microsoft Office and Internet applications;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people from different national and cultural backgrounds, whilst maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
The OSCE is not in a position to pay any remuneration or cover any expenses incurred by the intern during his/her stay in Vienna nor reimburse travel expenses.
The internship shall start as soon as possible and will lasts three (3) months with a possibility of extension of up to six (6) months, and does not constitute a commitment to future employment with the OSCE.
The selected intern may participate in the group health insurance scheme at his/her own expense. The OSCE will cover life and disability insurance.
If you meet the above requirements and wish to apply for this internship opportunity, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under http://www.osce.org/employment.
Please mention your availability dates in the cover letter.
How To Apply
Please note that vacancies in the OSCE are open for competition only amongst nationals of participating States, please see http://www.osce.org/states.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, or offer an internship with modified terms of reference or a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.