OSCE seeks Publications Editor and Outreach Officer
The Communication and Media Relations Section (COMMS) supports and advises the Secretary General and the OSCE Chairmanship on their media and public relations activities and informs the public about the work of the OSCE through print and online media and public outreach activities. COMMS also serves as the focal point for public statements from OSCE Institutions and Field Operations. COMMS produces and disseminates press releases, information material and regular publications, maintains the public website and the Organization’s social media presence, and promotes outreach to participating States, civil society, academic and research institutions, and the general public.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Head, Communication and Media Relations Section and in co-ordination with the Media and Online Officers, the incumbent is responsible for editing the Organization’s communications materials for print and online use and facilitates the production and distribution of all Secretariat publications for external use. He/she also organizes various OSCE outreach events.
Task and Responsibilities
More specifically, the selected candidate will be tasked with:
- Editing the Organization’s press releases, media advisories, and news items which have been prepared by colleagues in the Section or in the field operations to ensure that they are in compliance with the OSCE style guide;
- Managing, including editing, and occasionally writing features for the Organization’s flagship periodical microsite on the OSCE public website, which provides an overview and expert analyses of OSCE-related topics to a professional, academic and policy-making target audience;
- Co-ordinating production of the flagship periodical by consulting with colleagues throughout the Organization on priority topics, generating story ideas and commissioning contributions from internal and external authors, including expert presenters at OSCE meetings and members of the OSCE-related academic community;
- Working closely with authors to provide guidance and edit contributions to the flagship periodical, co-ordinating translation into other OSCE languages and managing dissemination to subscribers;
- Managing the process of long-term storytelling, including holding regular editorial meetings with COMMS colleagues and maintaining the Section’s editorial calendar;
- Acting as a focal point and managing, co-ordinating and facilitating the production and distribution of all OSCE Secretariat publications for external use; providing editorial and production advice and ensuring compliance with OSCE style;
- Liaising with relevant Secretariat staff in the various departments, providing advice on design templates and the OSCE Style Guide; collaborating with the procurement and human resources departments to maintain rosters of editors and designers and develop terms of reference for printer and designer window contracts;
- Initiating, organizing and co-ordinating OSCE outreach events, focusing in particular on outreach to youth and academic audiences;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the Communications and Media Relations Section (COMMS), please see: http://www.osce.org/secretariat
- First level university degree in journalism, international relations or a related field in the humanities or social sciences;
- Minimum of six years of relevant professional experience in editing and packaging of media products for a broad audience;
- Experience with public relations and in writing convincingly and informally with a minimum of institutional jargon and ability to express complex ideas simply;
- Experience using standard editing software applications and preparing web content. Experience in preparing and making presentations;
- Demonstrated political judgement and analytical skills and ability to work in a deadline-driven environment;
- Professional fluency in English with excellent journalistic writing and editing skills (please note written testing will be conducted); knowledge of other OSCE working languages would be an asset;
- Computer literate with practical experience in Microsoft applications;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability to work in a team and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
Monthly remuneration is approximately EUR 6,113 depending on post adjustment and family status. OSCE salaries are exempt from taxation in Austria. Social benefits will include possibility of participation in the Cigna medical insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund. Other allowances and benefits are similar to those offered under the United Nations Common System.
Appointments are made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale.