OSCE seeks Senior Policy Support Assistant
Senior Policy Support Assistant
The Conflict Prevention Centre (CPC) plays a key role in supporting and co-ordinating the OSCE’s activities in the field, in providing analysis and policy advice to the Secretary General and the Chairperson-in-Office (CiO) in relation to field-related activities and is the focal point in the Secretariat for co-ordinating and developing the OSCE’s role in the politico-military dimension.
The Policy Support Service (PSS) serves as the Organization’s primary point of contact on all matters concerning field operations; it monitors the implementation of the mandates of the individual field operations and advises the Secretary General (SG) and the Chairmanship on related policy issues. It also analyses early-warning signals regarding the situation in the field and recommends the implementation of relevant preventive or reactive action. Support provided to the SG and the Chairperson-in-Office includes background information, policy support and advice, draft decisions, draft statements and summary records. PSS facilitates the co-ordination of programmes and activities among field operations and with those of OSCE specialized units within the Secretariat and institutions and assists field operations in the Performance-Based Programme Budgeting (PBPB) process.
The PSS is composed of four regional desks covering Eastern Europe, South-Eastern Europe, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The incumbent will be one of three Senior Policy Support Assistants. Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Director for Policy Support Service (DD/CPC-PSS), he/she will be responsible for providing substantive assistance to the regional desks on a range of matters, more specifically:
- Ensuring the effective flow of information between headquarters and the field;
- Formatting, proof-reading and providing comments on final drafts of reports of field operations before processing them for distribution to delegations;
- Attending Permanent Council meetings and other ad hoc meetings related to assigned field operations and writing summaries, notes and reports for distribution;
- Proofreading various documents, including reports, speaking points and background, for senior management and the Chairmanship;
- Assisting Policy Support Officers in the review process of extra-budgetary projects
- Preparing administrative and logistical aspects of visits of senior officials to Mission areas;
- Assisting regional desks with the organization of Regional Meetings of Heads of Field Operations, participating in such meetings and contributing to related reports;
- Assisting with preparations for the Annual Meeting of the Chairmanship and the Secretariat with the Heads of Field
- Operations and Institutions, and drafting reports on certain sessions;
- Conducting research on OSCE-related topics and compiling and co-ordinating input to various OSCE documents;
- Maintaining the Mission Report database and updating OSCE reference documents and numerous email lists on a regular basis;
- Performing other duties as required.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Secretariat, klick here.
- Completed secondary education supplemented by post-secondary education or training in the field of administration, political science, management or a related field;
- Minimum of six years of relevant work experience in an international environment;
- Professional fluency in English, including excellent oral and written communication skills; knowledge of other OSCE working languages is an asset;
- Outstanding co-ordination and organizational skills;
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and under time pressure;
- Ability to work under minimal supervision;
- Computer literate, including the ability to operate Microsoft applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint and email;
- Ability to work in a team and establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds whilst maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deduction, is EUR 4,245 (12 times a year). OSCE salaries are exempt from taxation in Austria. Social benefits will include possibility of participation in the Cigna medical insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund.
Appointments are made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale.
How To Apply
- If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE’s online application link until May, 26 2017.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Please note that vacancies in the OSCE are open for competition only amongst nationals of participating States, please see http://www.osce.org/states.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Please note that for this position the OSCE does not reimburse expenses such as travel in connection with interviews, tests, visas and relocation.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.